This survey is now closed. Thank you to all who entered!
I'm taking a quick break from Vegan Mofo to write a post about this lovely new book by Lani Muelrath, entitled The Plant-Based Journey: A Step-by-Step Guide for Transitioning to a Healthy Lifestyle and Achieving Your Ideal Weight
This book is a lot of fun, is a pretty quick and easy (and interesting) read, and instead of a "normal" review, I decided to write up a list of my top 10 favorite things (in no particular order) from the book:
- Preface by T. Colin Campbell, who wrote The China Study, calling this book the perfect companion to his book Whole: Rethinking the Science of Nutrition
- The fact that Lani performed a survey of over 1200 people that had gone through a plant-based journey; their responses and insights are sprinkled throughout the pages of the book.
- Lani breaks down the plant-based journey into 5 segments: Awakening (when you're thinking about making the lifestyle changes to a plant-based lifestyle), Scout (investigating, inquiring, learning more), Rookie (usually overlaps with Scout, when you're starting to eat more plant foods), Rock Star (at least 90% of your calories come from plant foods), and finally, Champion (you're feeling at ease with eating a plant-based diet).
- There's an abundance of citations of and references to scientific studies and articles, showing scientifically-sound reasons to choose a plant-based diet (there are 11 pages of endnotes!).
- Lani's continuous emphasis on eating a whole-foods diet, rather than focusing on individual nutrients.
- This line (found on page 11): "The food you eat is arguably the biggest health, medical, environmental, conscience and sociopolitical decision you make every day."
- Chapter 3 contains a sampling of one week of whole-food, plant-based meals.
- The book contains personal journeys of patients who now eat predominately plant-based diets.
- Chapter 8 offers a plant-based meal planner.
- Lani emphasizes physical activity as an integral part of the entire lifestyle change.
She recently made a CBS TV special on "plantifying your plate". See it here.
I'm hosting a giveaway for this book! Enter below. (This giveaway is open to US and Canadian residents only, please.)
a Rafflecopter giveaway
To continue to follow the blog tour, visit these blogs for the rest of the month...