These are delicious, and actually the culmination of several days' work. I made one thing, thought - this is good but not quite good enough - let it sit for a day while I thought about it, then had an ah-ha! moment that produced this awesome result.
These are perfect to bring to a party or a last-minute work event. I took these to work and they went so quickly I thought everyone must be suffering from a chocolate shortage. I made these for a birthday party and no one could talk for a few minutes while they were stuffing their mouths. You are sure to be a hit when you bring these to the table. Guaranteed.
Chocolate Pomegranate Truffles
Makes about 22 truffles
1/3 c. coconut oil
3/4 c. coconut cream (from the top of a chilled can of coconut milk)
1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 c. mint chocolate coconut milk (I used So Delicious)
1/4 c. evaporated cane juice
pomegranate seeds from one pomegranate
1 1/2 c. vegan chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life)
1/2 c. + 2 T. coconut oil
- In a stovetop pan set to low heat, mix together all the truffle ingredients (EXCEPT pomegranate seeds) until they are smooth. Bring the liquid to just boiling, then remove from heat. Pour into a heat-safe container and put into the fridge for 2-3 hours, until very solid.
- When the time has passed, remove the plate from the fridge. Using a scoop (or a spoon), scoop out tablespoon-sized amounts of the filling and roll into balls. Place a toothpick inside each one and place onto a freezer-safe plate. Place the plate in the freezer for about an hour.
- When about an hour has gone by, start making the ganache: in a stovetop pan on medium heat, melt together the chocolate chips and coconut oil, stirring often, until the mixture is very smooth. Remove from heat and let cool just a little.
- Remove plate from freezer and slowly dip the truffles into the ganache. Place them back onto the plate and remove the toothpick. Put a pomegranate seed where the hole for the toothpick is. Place plate back into the freezer to store up to one day.
- Before serving, place plate in the fridge for an hour to defrost. Serve slightly cold.