|ready to go into the toaster oven|
I am currently a little under the weather. I think it's from all the rest and relaxation from the last week and a half. But for some reason, I woke up this morning and had some of the brightest and best brainstorms I've ever had.
And they just kept coming!
Throughout the day, an idea would suddenly pop into my head and I'd leap up, realize I didn't have the energy to do that, sit down, then get up again before the idea left me.
Mind you, I was not under the influence of any meds. I am a firm believer in letting illnesses slide until you need hospitalization. If you think I'm kidding, well, I'm not. I went into the hospital a little over a year ago because of this philosophy. So there.
Anyway, my final bright idea this afternoon was to create single-serve fruit crisps and make them in ramekins. I can never finish an entire casserole dish full of crisp, and I feel badly throwing away the leftovers when I don't eat them after a certain amount of time, so this really seemed like the perfect solution.
I created the recipe entirely out of thin air, and I have to say, it turned out pretty well. And it tasted really good.
Single-Serve Fruit Crisp
Makes enough for 2 ramekins
1 small apple
2 T. water
1 t. cornstarch
1/2 t. + 1/2 t. cinnamon (divided)
2 t. brown rice syrup
1 T. Earth Balance buttery stick, cut into small cubes
2 T. oats
1 T. brown sugar
1 T. buckwheat flour
- Preheat your toaster oven to 350'.
- Cut up apple and divide evenly into both ramekins. Put 5 cranberries into each dish.
- In a separate bowl, mix water, cornstarch, cinnamon and brown rice syrup together well and pour over the fruit. Wiggle (in other words, don't shake, or the contents will fall out!) each ramekin so the fruit is covered by the mixture.
- In the now-empty bowl, mix together the Earth Balance, cinnamon, oats, brown sugar and flour. You can use your hands to get the "butter" to become crumbly.
- Stick into the toaster oven and bake 25-30 minutes. The fruit should be bubbling out and over the top of the crispy topping.
- Let cool for a few minutes before eating, then dig in!