|ready to go into my belly! seasoned tofu!|
I'm so excited to use it! I decided to break it in tonight for dinner. I had some tofu in the fridge and some squash I wanted to prepare, and I was in the mood for comfort food, so I put the following dishes together. My mother used to prepare the most memorable pork chops when I was younger, and, although I no longer eat pork, I do often fantasize about eating something that was prepared in the same way. In other words, something a little fried, a little salted and completely full of flavor. To make sure I got the recipe just right, I called my mother before gathering all the ingredients together. I think I nailed the method, but you'll just have to make the recipe yourself to find out!
To serve, I prepared some brown rice, then placed the tofu on top of it. I would have normally eaten the tofu with wild plum sauce, because that is what I grew up eating, but since I didn't have any of that or applesauce, I settled on a pomegranate dressing that I had in the fridge. Of course, it wasn't quite the same, but it sufficed for this one meal.
2 T. coconut oil
1 container of extra firm tofu (this eliminates the need for pressing), sliced into 6-8 pieces, depending on your preference
1/2 cup corn flour
1/2 cup garbanzo bean flour
2 t. sea salt
1 t. pepper
2 t. thyme
1/4 cup sake or white wine
|sliced extra firm tofu|
- Turn the skillet on a high setting and warm the coconut oil. Dip the sliced tofu tofu in flour mixture, then place into the hot skillet. Sprinkle with thyme.
- Brown on high, turning over to get both sides.
- Turn heat down to medium-low, pour in sake or white wine, and cook for one hour.
Meanwhile, prepare the following...
Roasted Autumn Vegetables
1 delicata squash, chopped into 1" pieces
1 apple, cut up
1/2 large white onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 T. olive oil
2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. ginger
2 t. sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350'. Prepare the vegetables and mix with oil in a pan. Sprinkle with seasonings.
- Bake for 25 minutes uncovered, then bake for 15 minutes covered. Serve warm.