This was my fourth scone!
6 oz. plain or vanilla vegan yogurt
3/4 c. "milk" (I used hazelnut)
1 T. lemon juice
3 c. gluten-free flour mix (we used Bob's Red Mill)
3/4 t. xanthan gum
1/3 c. granulated sugar
2 T. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1/3 c. canola oil
- Preheat the oven to 400'.
- Whisk together the yogurt, milk, and lemon juice. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour mix, xanthan gum, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the milk mixture and canola oil, and stir with a wooden spoon until combined but still clumpy. (At this point, we added a cup of dried, apple juice-sweetened cranberries to the mixture.)
- Flour a work surface lightly with flour, and turn out the dough. Lightly flour your hands. Sprinkle the dough with a little flour mix.
- Divide the dough in half. Pat into two 6" disks. Cut the disks into 6 pie-shaped wedges. Place the scones on the baking sheet.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 15-17 minutes, or until lightly golden. Transfer to a cooling rack. Serve warm.
We ate them with vegan butter, powdered sugar, cut up strawberries and bananas, with a cup of coffee on the side. It was a delightful treat.