Roasted Butternut Squash Risotto
1 butternut squash (about 2 lb), peeled, seeded, and cut into small cubes
1/4 c. olive oil
4 T. butter
2 garlic cloves, chopped or crushed
pinch of dried oregano
pinch of dried sage
1 1/4 c. risotto rice, such as arborio
5 c. hot veg stock
3/4 c. white wine
1 t. lemon juice
salt and ground pepper
- Put the squash on a baking tray and sprinkle with salt and 2 T. olive oil.
- Roast in a preheated oven at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes until tender.
- Put the butter, remaining 2 T. olive oil, and garlic in a medium saucepan.
- Cook gently for 2 minutes, then add the oregano, sage, and rice. Let the rice absorb the buttery juices, then stir in a ladle of the hot stock.
- Wait until the stock has been absorbed, then add the wine and the rest of the stock, a ladle at a time, making sure it has been completely absorbed between each addition.
- Stir in the squash and lightly mash with the back of a fork, leaving some pieces whole.
- Stir in the lemon juice and add salt and pepper to taste.